Monday, April 14, 2008

Skinny dog - day 5

Monday. Worked from home again today. I am a freelancer, doing work for a company and have been negotiating with the boss to take work home for a while now. This is a perfect opportunity.

First thing this morning we're off to the vet again. She got de-wormed and front-lined, and the vet ladies went ooh and aah about how good she was looking (yay).

I do have a bit of a situation on my hands. That bad eye has to be cut out promto. In fact I was asked to come back on Wednesday. The very rock bottom price that the nice lady is offering is still rather high right now, at least until I get paid. Not to be stingy but i just don't have the money in my account. Serves me right for not getting a credit card. I am going to chat to the vet tomorrow, to see how long I can hold this off for, but if anyone can recommend a place that would do it cheaper, that would be awesome. I am thinking of maybe approaching the SPCA, with this dog being a stray and all. Any thoughts? I feel really bad taking resources away from other dogs who don't have a ''sponsor'', but I am really worried about holding off the op. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but I know it's hard to tell and the eye is leaking... aaargh. I will let you guys know once i speak to the vet and make my decision. I am not asking for money by the way. I will make a plan.

I must say, the whole thing is giving me a heavy heart. I am less keen to talk to anyone and just generally feel disillusioned. At least the dog is always entertaining and makes me feel better. She cleans her face like a cat - licks her paw and rubs her face. Its awesome :-)

Oh and she may have been fixed, as there seems to be a scar on her belly. A bit more to the right then i usually find them, but the right kind of scar. That means that she may have had an owner once, which would explain why she takes to people. I will call the SPCA's tomorrow to see if there is any record of her going missing.

Today miss skinny spent the whole day out of the confines of her room. First she just hung around the house. Then came the big introduction to my dogs. I was super worried, but Candy advised me to get them in the same room and give them all treats, thus making them associate seeing each other with getting treats.

Interestingly enough my dogs didnt view her as a threat. They seemed very ok with her. Alice - the little black dog - growled a bit, but not in a particularly threatening manner.

And there was much bum sniffing to be had

usually Alice doesn't take well to anything small and cute

And Greesha just wants to love everyone

And how could you not love this little thing :-)

She spent most of the day following me around, making me follow her to the kitchen where she would do this little dance to convince me to give her more food, or sleeping on the cushion I put down for her under my desk. I had to take my dogs for an extra long walk to not cause jealousy issues.

At night all 3 of them lay on the couch together watching a video.

Even the cat seems ok with her.
I guess that's good news.

It's easier to home a dog like that. I think if someone already has dogs it will be good for her to have friends

1 comment:

Pop and Tama said...

I followed the link from facebook. I think what you're doing is wonderful :) I wish more people really had genuine concern for animals and really did something. Cruelty is in our lives everyday, but you've actually done something about it. Thank-you so much :)I hope I can do similar things and more when I have my own place to live.

- Hannah